The Gulland Family Update

The Latest Breaking News and Random Thoughts from the Gulland Family

August 29, 2007

Two Year Anniversary of Hurricane Katrina

I was watching Good Morning America this morning because I knew that they would report on Hurricane Katrina's anniversary since Robin is from the Gulf Coast. She reported live from Pass Christian which is her home town. Now don't get me wrong, I know that New Orleans was hit hard. However, there were other areas of the Gulf Coast that did not get the media attention that they deserved.

My parents have told me of all the WONDERFUL people who have been down there to help and how Mississippi residents (at least most of them) are not just waiting around for assistance, but they are helping themselves. In fact, one of the women featured on GMA this morning tried to get a loan from the federal government to rebuild her restaurant. She couldn't get one. Did this stop her? NO! She did it on her own!!! The resiliency of the people on the Gulf Coast is amazing to me.

According to GMA, 98% of the population who lived there pre-Katrina still live there. Robin said that many people wonder how people would want to live in a place where hurricanes are a possibility. Her response was why do people live on the West Coast where there are earthquakes and in the Midwest where there are tornadoes? She said it is because it is home. The publisher of the Sun Herald said, "Buildings do not make communities; people do."

To my family on the Coast and all those affected by Hurricane Katrina, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Know that you are loved and that we will do anything we can do to help the Coast continue to recover.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home